The medical malpractice that affects a patient also impacts family members; the recovery process may further resound among friends, classmates and neighbors.
For some students who enroll in law school, medical malpractice, an accident or injury may motivate them to seek justice for those hurt by inappropriate medical care, motor vehicle accidents and dangerous drugs, among other misfortunes and wrongdoing.
To support the pursuit of excellence in malpractice and personal injury law, a local law firm created the Meinhart Smith & Manning PLLC Scholarship; it will help a graduate who encountered malpractice, injury or accident, either personally or through the aftermath of death or injury suffered by a family member or friend, as she or he pursues a legal career.
The $1,000 scholarship will partially defray first-year expenses for a student who has been accepted into an accredited law school in Kentucky or anywhere in the United States for enrollment in the fall of 2014.
“The challenge for recovery from malpractice, accident or injury may inspire a family member or friend of the patient or victim,” said Ethan Manning, attorney at Meinhart Smith & Manning PLLC. “Our scholarship is designed to support a student who observed the devastating impact of a serious injury and is motivated to pursue justice for others,” added Manning, who is a renowned personal injury attorney in practice for more than seven years.
Applicants must submit the following by August 10, 2014:
- A completed Scholarship Application Form
- One to three (1-3) page typed essay describing the medical malpractice case, accident or personal injury that inspired them to enter law school and study malpractice and personal injury law.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college and an official and complete copy of undergraduate transcripts, with minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA
- An acceptance letter from an accredited law school within the United States for Fall 2014
- Proof of legal residency in the United States (i.e., birth certificate, passport, permanent resident card, etc.)
- The Meinhart Smith & Manning PLLC Scholarship is to be used exclusively for law school tuition and related expenses.
- A check for $1,000 will be made payable to the award recipient’s law school to cover these expenses.
- Recipient is expected to submit receipts in accordance with IRS regulations.
Scholarship applications may be mailed to
Meinhart Smith & Manning, PLLC
222 East Witherspoon Street, Suite 401
Louisville, KY 40202
or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline is August 10, 2014 and the award will be announced on or about August 31, 2014.4